Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Truth Will Set You Free

I wish my children could always remain as honest as they are when they're young! It's kind of funny actually how honest little children really are, even if they know it means they're going to get into trouble for it.
My oldest son, who is 3yrs old, will tell me the truth, no matter what, so I know I can always count on him (for now!). Just the other day, I walked into the room in which they were playing and my 9mth old was sitting there crying. So, I looked at his older brother and asked him what happened. He looked at me with his innocent little look and said, "Tyler crying." To which I replied, "I know Tyler is crying. Why is he crying?" I had to try so hard not to smile when he admitted, "I hit him!" with a big smile on his face. All I needed to do though was ask, "What do you need to say to your brother?" and he very quickly ran to his little brother and gave him a big hug & kiss, and quietly said, "I sorry Tyler!"
This is the only example I can think of right now, but I know that there have been more times that I have been able to trust my son with telling me the absolute truth. And I know that I have had to hide a smile or a laugh many times just because of the way that it is so blatently (and innocently!) told. I'm so glad that I don't have to worry, but I know I'm dreading the day when I catch him telling his first lie and have to punish him for it.
The Bible says "Out of the mouths of babes and infants..." because it too knows that you can trust what comes out of very young children's mouths. If only this continued on into adulthood!!I only wish that it would continue longer, and that I can do my job as a parent and help my boys to understand that they can come to us with the truth anytime, even if it means getting into a bit of trouble. Do they ever fully realize that they'll get into less trouble if they continue to tell us the truth?!? I wonder...

No comments: