Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Baby Talk

It's funny how sometimes the tiny little things that most people would see as insignificant are the things that make being a mother so worthwhile. I was having such a horrible day today, but then my 8mth old Tyler did the most amazing thing. Before I get too far ahead of myself, however, I should probably give a little history in order for you to understand why it was even more special for me.

When my oldest son Evan was born, I was so excited to see all of the "firsts" that would happen in his life! But, I was soon to be disappointed because it seemed like everyone else got to see them first for one reason or another. My husband was the first person to get Evan to laugh, and for the first week he would only laugh for Daddy. My mother-in-law was the one who noticed Evan's first tooth, even though I had been checking every day and had even checked that same morning. Evan said "da-da" before he said "ma-ma"...that was all he would say for a few weeks, no matter how hard I tried. And I missed the first time that he started walking without stumbling because I had to go back to work. It was upsetting to me to miss all of this, especially being my first child!

So, when Tyler was born, I was determined to be able to experience all of these things first, especially since we discovered what a quick learner he has always been. My husband still got the first laugh one morning when he was letting me sleep in because I was up all night. And Tyler still said "da-da" first (only a few days ago). However, I got to see him crawl and pull himself up to a stand first, and I discovered his first tooth. That still wasn't good enough for me though!

Today, unexpectedly, Tyler gave me a pleasant surprise! While I was busy with Evan getting him dressed, Tyler came crawling up to me saying "mum-mum-mum-mum" with a big smile on his face. Wondering if it was a fluke, I tried to get him to say it again, which of course he didn't (what child does what you want them to do?!?). However, I was not to be disappointed for long! ALL day, Tyler followed me around everywhere I went saying "mum-mum-mum" and pulling on my pant legs. Normally, this would be a little annoying when I'm trying to get things done, but today it was the best sound that I've ever heard!

To anyone else, Tyler learning to do this would seem like such a small thing, especially compared to all of the things that a baby learns in his first year of life. But, to me, it was sweeter than the sound of angels singing in the heavens! Maybe it's just a mother-thing, but I was so excited to be able to FINALLY hear my son say my name (even if he probably has no idea what he's saying!).

4 comments:

Audrey said...

A very new blog you have here but great to be reading your post.
Got here through Blog Catalog.
Sure feels good, isn't it to hear what your baby has to say. My toddler started with papa before mama and that made my husband gloat for a while. :( So, I know how you feel with your first child.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a mother myself but i can just imagine your excitement. I can't wait to have children of my own and have all of these firsts you are taking about. lots of love. Your cousin Erin!xo

Dawn Drover said...

Great post! You a good Mama!

Dawn Drover said...

Oh and I've added you to my google reader so I can check for your latest posts!!! xoxoxoxox